Monday 5 October 2009

Look At All Those Words!!!

See my word counter? I broke the 40k barrier yesterday and another 10k chunk went to my hard-working mentor. I can't believe I've done 40k in six weeks flat. Then again, this is a rewrite, after six drafts of a former version, so I ought to know my way by now. That does save some time, because I know what I'm telling, but I still have to deal with the question of how to tell the story. At the moment that's proving difficult. I could claim to be mired in a sticky middle patch, which would be plausible in terms of the word count, but would imply that I have some idea where the end will be. Which, at present, I do not.

Nevertheless, with a fairly free day today, I've churned out another 2k. Two thousand words seems a perfectly possible daily output if I don't have much else to do. I'm nearly halfway! At this rate, I could be halfway by Wednesday lunchtime!

I don't think I'll be able to keep this up indefinitely, as paid work is bound to get in the way - and indeed it needs to, because of pesky things like bills and the mortgage. But, for now, it feels good.

9 comments:

Debi said...

No matter what the final word count, it's inevitable to fear a slump round about this point, when you've achieved so much but there's still such a long way to go.

The trick is not to panic and just carry on writing - which of course is exactly what you're doing.

Clever clogs ... Keep this up and I'll be redundant!

Queenie said...

See what a fab mentor she is, everyone? Debi, there's no chance of you being redundant: when I'm a ninety-year-old author, reclining on my chaise longue with my pug and dictating my twenty-eighth bestseller, I shall still require your services, OK?

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Your word count is increasing rapidly, well done.

Anonymous said...

42K! Well done Q - that is amazing! I just can't wait to read it all...

HelenMWalters said...

Brilliant. You're making amazing progress.

Lane Mathias said...

That's excellent progress! Well done my girl.

Jenny Beattie said...

Wow. I'm in such awe of anyone who can produce that in a day. How the devil can you do it? And, more to the point, why can't I?

That really is brilliant.

Queenie said...

Thanks, everyone!
JJ, see next post.

Karen said...

That's great progress! Keep it up :o)