Saturday 18 December 2010

I Guess I've Finished The First Draft

Although definitely with a whimper, not the bang I was hoping for. The odd thing is, most of the way through this draft I've been sure about how the story would end, but when I got there it didn't work as I'd expected, it just faded inconclusively away. I think that's because, as with most of my first drafts, the story isn't yet pulled tightly together. It's also shorter than I really wanted it to be, but I'm not particularly worried about that because I always underwrite in first drafts.

I stopped writing in the middle of last week and felt flat and frustrated for a few days. But now I'm getting used to the idea. The prospect of a few weeks off writing fiction (I won't be writing shorties either) really appeals, which is unusual for me, so I reckon I need a break. I can also feel a flicker of excitement at the thought of printing out, reading through and starting a proper edit. That'll be in mid-January.

I'm even, slowly, beginning to feel a little bit proud of myself. Looked at one way, I have a first draft which is a bit rubbish. But then, most first drafts are a bit rubbish. Looked at another way, I have a world, a cast of characters, a central storyline and 87,000 words which I didn't have nine months ago. And actually, I think that's pretty good.

16 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

Great news. And indeed, something to be proud of! You can't write a better draft 2 if you haven't written draft 1, after all.

HelenMWalters said...

That's amazing. I'm so impressed. Well done.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

That's brilliant. Now you've created that world you've got something to work with. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

I think feeling flat after finishing a draft is more common than you might expect. I get that as well. In any case, well done! That's a great achievement.

My first drafts are often really zeroth drafts, since the plot is still being unearthed. I tend to overwrite rather than underwrite though.

Jenny Beattie said...

It's very good. Really excellent news. Congratulations.

Cheryl said...

Well done!

Enjoy the break :)

Sherri said...

Pretty good? It's excellent!

Enjoy your break and you'll be back all fired up in the New Year.

And have a lovely Christmas!

Kath McGurl said...

Yay, well done on the first draft! And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Elizabeth Bramwell said...

Hey, well done! DOn't undersell yourself - 87,000 first draft is pretty damn good. Be proud - we are!

Pat said...

Only what I would expect from you. Now's the time to chill, relax and spoil yourself and allow your batteries to recharge. You have my permission to let it all hang loose and have a very happy holiday.

Karen said...

Yay congratulations! I know what you mean about feeling a bit flat though - hopefully you'll be raring to go after a little break from writing :o)

Lane Mathias said...

I think it's more than pretty good - I think it's fantastically good and all in nine months. Huge well dones to you and enjoy your time off.

If you've got frissons of excitement now about going back to it, you'll be chomping at the bit by January - brilliant.

Jen said...

Wow, you did it - well done! I'm a lot proud of you and will be listening out for the sound of your red pen scratching away through the ether...

CL Taylor said...

It's bloody good! Congratulations. Here's to time off (for good behaviour? ;)) over Christmas! :)

Debi said...

So proud ... I am and you certainly should be. Give that woman a gold star. Give her three ...

Pat said...

A Happy New Year to both of you and may you reap your rewards in 2011!